Monday, July 23, 2012

Word Order


Word Order

    A.    Verb + Object
The verb and the object of the verb normally go together. We do not usually put other words between them:

Verb
+
Object

I
like

children
very much (not: I like very much children)
Did you
see

your friends
yesterday?
Ann often
plays

tennis.


Study these examples. Notice how the verb and the object go together each time:
·         Do you clean the house every weekend? (not: Do you clean every weekend the house?)
·         Everybody enjoyed the party very much. (not: Everybody enjoyed very much the party)
·         Our guide spoke English fluently.  (not: Our guide spoke fluently English)
·         I not only lost all my money, but also lost my passport. (not: ..also lost my passport)
·         At the end of the street you’ll see a supermarket on your left. (not: .. see on your left a supermarket)

   B.     Place and Time
Usually the verb and the place go together: go home; live in a city; walk to work; etc.
If the verb has an object, the place comes after the verb + object: take somebody home; meet a friend in the street; etc.
Time (when? / How often? / How long?) normally goes after place.

Place
Time
Tom walks
to work
every morning. (not:..walks every morning to work.
She has been
in Canada
since April.
We arrived
at the airport
early.
Study these examples. Notice how time goes after place:
·         I’m going to Paris on Monday. (not: I’m going on Monday to Paris)
·         They have lived in the same house for a long time.
·         Don’t be late. Make sure you’re here by 8 o’clock.
·         Sarah gave me a lift home after the party.
·         You really shouldn’t go to bed so late.
If is often possible to put time at the beginning of the sentence:
·         On Monday I’m going to Paris.
·         Every morning Tom walks to work.
Sometime words (for example: always/never/often) usually go with  the verb in the middle of the sentence.

   C.    Adverb with the verb
1.      Some adverb (for example: always, also, probably) go with the verb in the middle of a sentence.
·         Tom always goes to work by car.
·         We were feeling very tired and we were also hungry.
·         Your car has probably been stolen.

2.       Study these rules for the position of adverbs in the middle of a sentence. (They are only general rules, so there are exceptions.)
                             i.            If the verb is one word (goes/fell/cooked,etc), the adverb usually goes before the verb:

Adverb
Verb

Tom
always
goes
to work by car.
I
almost
fell
as I was going down the stairs.

·         I cleaned the house and also cooked the dinner. (not: cooked also)
·         Lucy hardly ever watches television and rarely reads newspapers.
Note that these adverbs (always/often/also, etc) go before have to:
·         We always have to wait a long time for the bus. ( not: we have always to wait)

                           ii.            Adverbs go after am/is/are/was/were:
·         We were feeling very tired and we were also hungry.
·         Why are you always late? You’re never on time.
·         The traffic isn’t usually as bad as it was this morning.

                         iii.            If the verb is two or more words (can remember /  doesn’t smoke / has been stolen / etc), the adverb goes after the first verb (can/doesn’t,has):

Verb 1
Adverb
Verb 2

I
can
never
remember
his name.
Ann
doesn’t
usually
smoke.


Are you
definitely
going
to the party tomorrow?
Your car
has
probably
been
stolen.

·         My parents have always lived in London.
·         Jack can’t cook. He can’t even boil an egg.
·         The house was only built a year ago and it is already falling down.
Note that probably goes before the negative. So we say:
·         I probably won’t see you.
·         I will probably not see you. (not: I won’t probably..)

3.      we also use all and both in these positions:
·         We all felt ill after the meal. (not: we felt all ill..)
·         My parents are both teacher. (not: my parents both are teacher)
·         Sarah and Jane have both applied for the job.
·         We are all going out  this evening.

4.      Sometimes we use is/will/did instead of repeating part of a sentence. Note the position of always/never in these sentence:
·         He always says he won’t be late but he always is. (= he is always late)
·         I’ve never done it and I never will. (= I will never do it)

No comments:

Post a Comment